Studying in Spain
By: The GoAbroad Team
Posted on: Spain, Studying
1. Spain has a nine month academic period. School year for Degree and Diploma courses start in late September to Early October. Postgraduate courses follow a different calendar year.
2. Spanish lessons are divided into two shifts: the morning shift which starts at 8 o'clock in the morning and ends at around 2 o'clock in the afternoon; and the afternoon or evening shift which starts at 4 o'clock to 9 o'clock in the evening.
3. Most of the universities in Spain offer students the option to shift courses and schedules.
4. There are a number of student accommodation types available for a foreign student in Spain:
University- owned flats- usually more expensive than other type of accommodations.
Student flats- considered as the most popular option among foreign students because it is reasonably priced and because it provides more independence for the student tenant.
Halls of residence (Residencias universitarias)- usually cheaper than other accommodation types and is nearer to the campus' location. Halls of residence are also sometimes far from the city.
Residential Colleges (Colegios Mayores)- these are university centers which provide accommodation. Colegio Mayores is considered as the most expensive accommodation option. This accomodation type also include meals and even regular housekeeping services.
5. Most universities offer free internet access to their students.
6. Students coming from EU member countries can use their driver's license in Spain.
7. Cost of living and studying in Spain can vary depending on your lifestyle and location. Living in big cities like Barcelona and Madrid are more expensive than smaller cities in Spain.
8. Foreign students can do part- time work in Spain. Some foreign students work in restaurants and hotels as waiters. Another common part- time job among foreign students is language tutorials.
More study abroad programs for Spain can be found in GoAbroad.com's Study Abroad Programs for Spain.
For full degree programs, visit GoAbroad.com's Degree Courses Directory for Spain.
photo by: elaine_macc